1859 Historic Courthouse
Courthouse History & Information
The Poweshiek County Courthouse is the focal point of our beautiful and historic town square. Orginally designed byarchitects Drake and Dryden, the 1859 Greek Revival structure houses the majority of Poweshiek County government services including the offices of County Supervisors, Auditor, Treasurer, Recorder and Clerk of Court. The Poweshiek County Courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
The courthouse building has undergone several facelifts, upgrades and improvements including restoration to the original brick red facade, addition of the south wing that offers handicap accessiblity, a new carillon, and the surrounding courthouse lawn which features a growing list of monuments, including the All Veterans Memorial and the nation’s first Bill of Rights Monument. 302 East Main Street, Montezuma, Iowa 50171. MAP WEBSITE